Since my shoulder has been messed up the past month or so I have really started to take my lower body workouts to a more specific muscle group focus to change it up, and to make sure I wasn’t over training them. Recovery and rest days are just as important to the actual workouts to get those muscles growing.
With that said here is a Quadriceps focused workout I did today.
It is a pyramid meaning you start with 10 reps, then go to 8, then 6, then I go back up, so 8, then 10 again. You want to start light with the higher reps then add weight as you go. Then respectively you take weight away doing what would also appear as a drop set to wrap up each exercise.
If you are just starting a workout regime go light, or just use body weight to start. You should be able to get through all reps but the last ones should be challenging to complete… but you should be able to.
(rest 45 seconds between each rep set):
- Narrow (feet touching) leg press: 5 sets, rep counts: 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
- Hack squats narrow stance : 5 sets, rep counts: 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
- Leg extensions followed by reverse lunges with kick (reps for EACH leg) : 5 sets rep counts: 10, 8, 6, 8, 10
- Side bench or box power step ups (these are per leg and not pyramid based) : 5 sets (rep counts) of 15 / side
- Keep foot on bench and really power through top leg barely allowing opposite foot to tap the ground and bring knee all the way up to your core.
If you want to add some cardio, finish with TABATA intervals 20/20 or 30/30 bike sprints.
Let me know what you think!
If you are in the Atlanta area and interested in training, 1 on 1 or group let me know. Holiday specials for in home training and at CYB FitLab going on now!