After getting some requests after my lemon water post this morning I feel like I should share what I do everyday… even on my early mornings (aka 4am mornings) and I believe it really does help. Granted I know some say they don’t need coffee or caffeine from doing this, I still do… Because with my job, I don’t think my clients would appreciate me without coffee too at 5am ;).
1. Warm lemon water… with cayenne pepper.
- I start first with warming water, and juicing 1/2 a lemon, no do not just throw a lemon wedge in some water you will NOT get the same effect. If you have a weak stomach or wonder about the acidity start with 1/4 a lemon to asses your tolerance. Then I top it with cayenne pepper. Mix it up and chug. I wait about 20-30 minutes (if I have enough time) before having my greens and then proceed to coffee. The longer you can let your body absorb the nutrients from the water the better.
2. Green juice
- I never have and doubt I ever will think of myself as a “juicer” but I like starting my day like this. I still believe you need WHOLE foods to get a truly great diet rich in all nutrients AND the macros your body needs. Doing this though ensures I am getting some good nutrients and foods in from the start of my day.
- What I use:
- 1-2 cups spinach
- 1/3 apple
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 avocado (or 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- Chia seeds
- Cayenne Pepper
- I throw all those in my Nutribullet and blend away!
So what are the benefits of all of this?
- Cayenne Pepper – Opens and wakes up the circulatory system so to speak, regulates blood sugar, can help aid in digestion, warm your body temperature (which can in turn kick start your metabolism), it can also help neutralize your body’s ph making it more alkaline and helping in curing some chronic disorders.
- Lemons – Natural detoxifier within the body, loaded with Vitamin C and magnesium,
- Spinach – One of the most nutrient packed vegetables there is. When juiced you benefit even more from the breakdown of all of them, Vitamins, A, B, C, and K just to name a few.
- Cucumber – Also a great nutrient packed fruit (yes fruit coming from the melon family), it contains a great deal of Vitamin A in the skin, so don’t peel them! It also acts as a great diuretic due to its high water base, among other things.
- Avocado– I have a whole blog dedicated to these bad boys, but to name a few– they are great mono saturated (healthy) fats, great for heart health. carotenoids which can help fight cancer and other diseases, have anti inflammatory properties, and great source of B vitamins.
- Apples – High in soluble fiber and pectin which can help with digestion and staying fuller longer, also packed with antioxidants.
- Strawberries – High levels of antioxidants (polyphenols), fiber and Vitamins. In 1 serving of strawberries you get as much Vitamin C as an orange! Also high in manganese and potassium!
- Chia seeds – Amazing little seeds that are packed full of antioxidants, fiber, and even protein and healthy fat!
Try it out for a week or so and feel free to change up the juice, let me know what you think!
– C 🙂