HIIT High intensity interval training
High Intensity Interval Training, if you are not doing it. You should be.
Stop running for days on the treadmill. You can get so much more benefit from doing a SHORTER (yes shorter) Interval based cardio workout. IT also makes your physique that much better too!
So what is HIIT?
- HIIT is a fat blasting workout that alternates between short bursts of intense activity followed by less intense activity or even rest. Sprints on foot, on a bike, on the stepper, kettle bell swings are ALL great activities to incorporate HIIT into.
- Just 15 minutes of HIIT 3 times a week have proven to be effective at blasting fat and improving aerobic capacity than running for 1 hour on the treadmill.
You hit your anaerobic zone (the place where you feel uncomfortable)
- This zone is what is responsible for improving your heart health. After 4-6 weeks of training for short periods in this zone (15- 20 minutes a few times a week) you will be able to do harder workouts for longer periods without being exhausted.
You burn more fat 24 hours POST workout, than steady state cardio.
- When you are trying to lose weight it is hard to not lose hard earned muscle too. Steady state cardio depletes muscle, with short bursts of HIIT a few times a week you can actually KEEP that muscle and improve it WHILE losing fat. #winwin
- Stimulates HGH (human growth hormone) that is responsible for caloric burning capacity (your metabolism) by as much as 450% after your workout. Your metabolism not only gets faster, it also slows down the aging process (inside and out! ).
Dependent on your goals try and incorporate this into your routine along with a healthy diet, and strength training and see how much change you can truly achieve.
If you are in Buckhead/ Atlanta come try it out with me, first time is FREE at CYB Fitlab.
You can also try out one of my Skyfit Sports classes to get some intervals in on the treadmill. Find out more HERE!
And of course let me know your progress!